Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Bachelor: Dignity Calling

So the official name of this season's Bachelor is "London Calling," but I think my title is much more appropriate. But this is not going to be another post that rants and raves against how pathetic it is that 25 moderately intelligent women are throwing themselves at one man. Nor will I marvel at the high possibility that at least one woman will contract oral herpes this season, since through kissing the Bachelor, she's likely kissing about 14 other women.

That's been done.

My sweet, intelligent husband made a remark that I think had great insight. Maybe I realized it all along, but I hadn't verbalized it.

Him: You know, men aren't watching this show (except briefly while passing through to the kitchen). The reason why this show is popular is because of women.

What he went on to explain was that by watching those 25 women throw themselves at the guy and make out, women can feel better abut themselves.

Which, at least, holds true for me. Here is where I should feel bad, but I'll be honest:

- I love remarking how ugly those women are, even if they actually aren't. All of a sudden, I'm Klum-ing it like I'm critiquing models on Project Runway. Relatively attractive blondes become heinous drag queens.

- I love to criticize how loose their morals are.

- I love to prove how dumb they all are. So what if some of them own their own businesses?

You see, by doing this, I can feel better about myself. Because, in the end, I kind of feel like anything they are is diminished by the fact that they are appearing on the Bachelor. But I'm watching it. What does that say about me?

No comments: